Once it is assembled, it's time to season your Gravity Series® Grill + Smoker. Pre-seasoning will help rid your grill of chemicals and oils left over by the manufacturing process, allowing them to burn off. Every Gravity Series Grill should be pre-seasoned prior to its first use. Here's how you go about doing so.
- Fill the hopper with Masterbuilt Lump Charcoal or your favorite briquette charcoal approximately ¼ - ½ full.
- 2. Start your Gravity Series Grill following the START-UP instructions listed here and set the temperature to 250°F (121°C) for 60 minutes.
- Set the temperature to 400°F (204°C) for 30 minutes.
- Shut down the grill by turning off the digital control panel and replacing the hopper slides.
- Allow your grill to cool COMPLETELY.
- Using a napkin or cloth, rub a light coat of cooking oil on SMOKE + SEAR grates, warming/smoking racks, charcoal grate and the inside of the grill lid and body.
- Repeat steps 3-6 at 350°F (177°C).
- Frequent seasoning prevents rusting. If rusting occurs, clean with a steel brush, lightly apply vegetable oil and heat as indicated above. You can find more information about maintaining your Gravity Series Grill in our How to Maintain Your Gravity Series Grill post.
Your Gravity Series grill is now ready to cook on! If you ever need to season your grill again, simply repeat the instructions listed above. For cooking inspiration on your Gravity Series Grill, check out our recipes.