Once your Gravity Series® Grill is ready and seasoned, it’s time to start up your grill. Here’s how to load, light and set your Gravity Series grill for cooking.
1. Remove the heat intake and air intake slides from the GravityFed™ Charcoal Hopper.
2. Open hopper lid and hopper ash door.
a. There is a safety switch at each door that will prevent the fan from running when doors are opened.
b. If charcoal remains from a previous cook, shake the charcoal grate to ensure ash falls through to the ash tray.
c. Discard any ash from the ash tray.
3. Fill the hopper with charcoal.
a. The charcoal hopper holds approximately 16 lbs of charcoal briquettes or 10 lbs of Masterbuilt Lump Charcoal.
b. NEVER use fast light charcoal or lighting fluid.
c. If charcoal slips through the charcoal grate into the ash can, remove before starting.
4. Place a Masterbuilt Fire Starter in charcoal grate and light.
a. Fire starter should be placed on the fire starter support bars of the charcoal grate.
b. Use caution and wear protective gloves if needed.
c. Light with a matchstick or lighter.
5. Turn on the control panel and set the temperature to the desired setting.
a. Wait 1-2 minutes after lighting the fire starter to ensure fire starter is fully lit.
6. Close hopper lid and ash door.
7. Wait for your Gravity Series grill to reach desired set temperature.
a. Approximately 13 minutes to reach 700°F (370°C).
b. Approximately 7 minutes to reach 225°F (105°C).
Now that your charcoal is lit and temperature is set, it’s time to get grilling. Check out the following article on adding additional smoke & flavor to your cook here.