Failed Component Identification
This document will help you identify if one of your components has failed.
Please reference this document for any of the following concerns:
- My fan won't turn on
- My fan isn't working properly
- My controller isn't working properly
- My controller turns off during a cook
- My controller resets itself during a cook
- My controller freezes
Gravity Series® 560 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker
Gravity Series® 800 Digital Charcoal Griddle + Grill + Smoker
Gravity Series® 1050 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker
40-inch Digital Charcoal Smoker
My Controller or Fan isn't Working Correctly
Do This First
Reset Your Controller
- Power OFF your cooking device.
- Unplug your cooking device from the wall.
- Wait 5 minutes, plug it back in.
- Your controller is reset - check to see if the problem persists.
Check your temperature sensor
- Power OFF your cooking device.
- Your temperature sensor may not be plugged in correctly, or it is dirty.
- Remove the temperature sensor, clean the plug with a cloth, reconnect.
- Power OFF your cooking device. Make sure your device is not hot.
- Check all of the wire connections for visual damage. Check the fan, controller, doors, lids, and switch connections.
- Confirm the wires are connected properly and correctly. Refer to your product manual for more details.
- Check the controller for visual damage or water penetration. Water can damage your controller.
- Check the fan for visual damage. Are there any cracks or damages in the fan or fan housing?
- Check for debris in fan. You may need to remove the fan cover to remove any debris that has gotten into the fan. To remove the fan cover, remove the 4 screws in the corners of the fan shroud.
- Check the switches for visual damage.
- If any components have failed visual inspection, they should be replaced. Contact Masterbuilt Customer Service.
Check the wall plug
- Make sure the breaker or GFCI is not tripped. Make sure the unit is plugged into the wall.
- If you are using an extension cord, make sure it is an outdoor grounding -type 3- wire cord, marked with the suffix "W" and with the statement, "Suitable for Use with Outdoor Appliances".
Check the doors / lids
- Close all the doors and lids.
- The fan will not run if the hopper lid door is open, the ash door is open, or the lower door on the Digital Charcoal Smoker is open.
—Your fan will turn off in the middle of a cook once your set temperature has been reached.
—The fan will turn back on once the temperature is below the set temperature.
—An error code will display on your cooking device control panel starting with "Err" followed by a number.
—It is normal to see the "V" and "R" code when you plug in your cooking device. This is not an error.
—An alarm will sound when your meat probe reaches the set temperature. This is not an error.
"OPEN" is Displayed on my Controller, and My Lid / Door is NOT Open
—You need to check your switches. See Phase 4 of this document.
Failed Component Identification Troubleshooting
Phase 1: Test Your Controller
Step 1: Disconnect Controller
Step 2: Turn On Controller
Step 3: Is Problem Resolved?
- No, your controller still does not work correctly. Your controller needs to be replaced. Contact Masterbuilt Customer Support. If a new controller does not fix your problem, move to PHASE 2.
- Yes, your controller now works correctly. Continue reading to further troubleshoot the faulty component.
Step 4: Reconnect Controller
Phase 2: Test Your Wire Harness
Step 5: Disconnect Fan
Step 6: Turn On Controller
Step 7: Is Problem Resolved?
- Yes, your controller now works correctly. Continue to PHASE 3 to continue troubleshooting the faulty component.
- No, your controller still does not work correctly. Continue to PHASE 4 to continue troubleshooting the faulty component.
Phase 3: Test Your Fan
Step 8: Remove Fan
Step 9: Plug Fan into Controller
Step 10: Turn On Controller
Step 11: Is Problem Resolved?
- No, your controller still does not work correctly, or your fan does not turn ON. Your fan needs to be replaced. Contact Masterbuilt Customer Support.
- Yes, your controller now works correctly, or your fan turns ON. Continue to PHASE 4 to continue troubleshooting the faulty component.
Phase 4: Clean Your Switches
Step 12: Rewire Cooking Device
Step 13: Check Contact Points
Press the lid / door switch down rapidly 10 times to ensure the contact points are clean and not sticking. Quickly pressing and releasing the switch will help clean the contact points.
Spray a small amount of non-corrosive degreaser into the switch. Again, quickly press the lid / door switch down rapidly 10 times.
Step 14: Is Problem Resolved?
- Yes, your controller now works correctly, and your fan turns ON. Troubleshooting complete.
- No, your controller does not work correctly, or your fan does not turn ON. Continue to PHASE 5 to continue troubleshooting the faulty component.
Phase 5: Test Your Switches
Step 15: Turn Off Device
Step 16: Remove Switches
Grill: Remove the hopper lid switch from the top of the hopper with the 2 screws.
Digital Charcoal Smoker: Remove the top door switch with the 2 screws (the box on the outside of the smoker by the top door latch).
Step 17: Disconnect Switch Wires
Step 18: Connect Wires
- Pull back the rubber covers
- Slide the terminals into one another
- Cover the temporary connection with one of the rubber covers so no metal is exposed
Note: Do not operate the cooking device with switches wired as so. This bypasses all safety precautions. This can be very dangerous. These wires can cause damage if they make contact with metal. Please use extreme caution.
Step 19: Turn On Device
Step 20: Is Problem Resolved?
- No, your fan does not turn ON. Continue to STEP 21.
- Yes, your fan turns ON. Your hopper lid switch (grill), or top door switch (smoker) needs to be replaced. Contact Masterbuilt Customer Support.
Step 21: Fan Did Not Come On
Step 22: Test Lower Switches
Repeat steps 15 - 19 for lower switches.
Grill: Test the ash door switch. You can find the ash door switch on the lower part of your hopper behind the heat shroud.
Digital Charcoal Smoker: Repeat the steps for the lower door switch.
Step 23: Is Problem Resolved?
- No, your fan does not turn ON. Your electric wire harness kit needs to be replaced. Contact Masterbuilt Customer Service.
- Yes, your fan turns ON. Your ash door switch (grill) or lower door switch (smoker) needs to be replaced. Contact Masterbuilt Customer Support.
Got a question? Need a helping hand? We've got you covered.
Need a new part for your Masterbuilt grill, smoker, or fryer?
View the warranty details of your Masterbuilt BBQ or smoker.
Didn't think you needed it? Threw it out? Thought so. Don't worry, it happens.
Protect your investment. Register your Masterbuilt product.
We're always around if you need. Submit a request, and we'll get you back up and running.