Once your Gravity Series® Grill + Smoker is ready and seasoned, it's time to start up your grill. Here's how to load, light and set your Gravity Series grill for cooking.
- Remove the heat intake and air intake slides from the GravityFed™ Charcoal Hopper.
- Open hopper lid and hopper ash door.
- There is a safety switch at each door that will prevent the fan from running when doors are opened.
- If charcoal remains from a previous cook, shake the charcoal grate to ensure ash falls through to the ash tray.
- Discard any ash from the ash tray
- The charcoal hopper holds approximately 16 lbs of charcoal briquettes or 10 lbs of Masterbuilt Lump Charcoal
- NEVER use fast light charcoal or lighting fluid.
- If charcoal slips through the charcoal grate into the ash can, remove before starting.
- Place a Masterbuilt Fire Starter in charcoal grate and light.
- Fire starter should be placed on the fire starter support bars of the charcoal grate.
- Use caution and wear protective gloves if needed.
- Light with a matchstick or lighter.
- Turn on the control panel and set the temperature to the desired setting.
- Wait 1-2 minutes after lighting the fire starter to ensure fire starter is fully lit.
- Close hopper lid and ash door.
- Wait for your Gravity Series grill to reach desired set temperature.
- Approximately 13 minutes to reach 700°F (370°C).
- Approximately 7 minutes to reach 225°F (105°C).
Now that your charcoal is lit and temperature is set, it's time to get grilling. Check out this article on adding additional smoke & flavor to your cook.