The AutoIgnite Digital Charcoal Grill & Smoker combines technology and innovation to bring all the ease of gas grilling with the flavor of charcoal grilling. With this step-by-step guide you can keep your charcoal grill in top shape and ready to grill delicious meals.
Bread & Butter of Grill Maintenance
When you get your new grill, there are a few steps you will always need to take. You will always need to season your grill, clean after grilling, and store properly. For detailed setup and instructions about the AutoIgnite please download the Instruction Manual or visit this playlist of videos.
Season Your Grill
You need to season your grill to get rid of the chemicals and oils left over by the manufacturing process. You will also need to season your grill regularly throughout the life of the grill. Steps for seasoning the AutoIgnite are below:
- Fill the hopper with charcoal 1/4 to 1/2 full.
- Start grill following the START-UP instructions and set the temperature to 250°F (121°C) for 60 minutes.
- After 60 minutes set the temperature to 400°F (204°C) for 30 minutes.
- Shut down the grill following the SHUTDOWN instructions.
- Allow grill to cool COMPLETELY.
- Using a napkin or cloth, rub a light coat of cooking oil on grates, sear plate, warming racks, and the inside of the grill lid and body. Use caution, the grill will be HOT to the touch.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 at 350°F (175°C)
Clean After Grilling
- Once ashes have completely cooled, empty the charcoal hopper of ash after each use. This will help prolong the life of the charcoal hopper.
- Dispose of cold ashes by placing them in aluminum foil, soaking with water and discarding in a non-combustible container.
- Remove the charcoal grate and clean.
- Remove the cooking grates and manifold to clean.
- Remove grease cup and heat tent to clean.
- Remove hopper lid (sear plate) and clean. The hopper lid is coated cast iron, please wipe clean with a damp rag, for stuck on debris you may need to rub with a non-abrasive scrub brush. Once clean, apply a light coating of oil to the sear plate to prevent rust. If rust occurs on the sear plate, clean with a steel brush, apply vegetable shortening and heat the grill as noted in the seasoning instructions.
- Inspect hardware and assembled parts regularly to ensure grill is in safe working condition.
- Clean grill and cooking grates with mild dish detergent.
- Wipe the outside of the grill with a damp rag. DO NOT use oven cleaner or other cleaning agents. Make sure to dry thoroughly.
- Wipe it down with cooking oil to avoid rusting.
Store Your Grill
- Always cover and store your grill in a protected DRY AREA. Store only when the fire is out, and all surfaces are cold.
- When grill is not in frequent use, even when using a grill cover, remember to check your grill periodically to avoid rust and corrosion due to moisture buildup
- Note: do not store combustible materials under the grill or in the grill cabinet
Be sure to pick up a properly fitted grill cover for your AutoIgnite. Shop the Masterbuilt Small Digital Charcoal Grill and Smoker Cover on our website.
Ongoing Care for your AutoIgnite
We recommended frequent seasoning to prevent rusting. You'll want to season your grates regularly during the first six months of owning your grill and then re-season them twice a year after that.
If rusting occurs, clean with a steel brush, apply vegetable shortening and heat as indicated above. >
Another great tip to keep your grill working its best is to wipe or spray down the grill with vegetable oil regularly to protect the inside against rust.>
Continued cleaning and care are key to ensuring a long life for your AutoIgnite Charcoal Grill and Smoker. Have questions? Email or chat online with Masterbuilt customer service!